PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ejection Seat or Butt Fire?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2013, 16:12
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only other A-7 accident at TIK that I recall was a Navy A-7E pilot that ran off a wet runway (at the time 12/30, now 13/31) on a Friday, probably in a hurry to get to the O'Club. He didn't eject, but did get to the Club later.
Not having time to check ORAC's link, I remember an A-7 accident at Tinker, just off the runway (17 back then), on a test flight when the pilot realized the ailerons were hooked up backward and ejected. If I recall correctly, the A-7 came close to hitting Building 3001. The pilot only had minor injuries.

But, this was a long time ago and my memory of the incident is hazy.

Now I'll check ORAC's link and see if I made a fool of myself.

By the way, I was taxing out in a T-34 after a major overhaul and during the control check I realized the ailerons were reacting the opposite way as they should from the control stick inputs. Taxied back in and sure enough, they were installed backward. The mechanic/engineer that had preformed this feat of engineering, had actually had to cut holes in the internal sheet metal to accomplish this feat.

Ah, the joy of going with the lowest bidder.

Well, okay, just checked ORAC's link, there is just the one that crashed noth of the air base listed. So I am confused. In fact, I just now remeber meeting the pilot at the NCO/O ANG Club at Will Rogers at a party.

I give up.

Maybe it was the cheap Scotch.