PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deicing for light aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2013, 10:00
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for people's replies...

Perhaps I didn't make my initial post particularly clear but so far the answers haven't been particularly relevant to what I'm really asking.

I fly a reasonable amount and have access to a FIKI approved SEP and sometimes fly light twins as well. While I don't deliberately seek out bad weather obviously I do like to make use of my rather expensive EASA Muti-IR and answers like 'don't go flying' or 'keep the aircraft in a hangar' are all very well but are not really relevant to me when I'm at an airport in Europe or something on a several day trip and I need to get a load of ice and snow off the aircraft. It may come as a surprise to some that there are actually some people out there who like to use light aircraft beyond a fair weather jaunt for a £100 handburger (although I often enjoy that sort of flying too).

I was primarily asking about deicing for the purposes of removing existing contamination but while we are on the subject there is no reason why one shouldn't depart while it is snowing in a deiced and FIKI light aircraft.

And alot of airlines request Type I as well. If flybe are about the airport it likely to have it.
Thanks MJ, apparently not at Glasgow though. I generally have a policy of inquiring about hangars and deicing whenever I anticipate an issue with either ice or high winds and the aircraft will be left over night and my perception is that most airports are not very well set up for supplying suitable deicing fluid for light aircraft. Even if one can get type I as you say it is very expensive.

I was therefore wondering if anyone could share any experiences of airports being about to supply small quantities of fluid at reasonable cost?

Obscene cost to get it seen to, so much so that the multi-billionaire owners' eyes were watering. Given the corrosive properties of the de-icing gunk, perhaps you could consider viewing the occasional thirty minutes spent with a stiff-bristled brush before committing aviation as morning calisthenics?
Good point but I would only anticipate needing to deice a few times a year so would not have thought that it would be an issue. Also if the aircraft did need cleaning after a flight due to the fluid I would have no issue either doing that or arranging for it to be done. Yes if the contamination isn't bad then 30 mins might be all it takes to remove it. But I did once have the experience of having rain from the previous night freeze solid onto the wings, no way it was coming off with a brush and even with a scraper would have taken a lot longer than 30 mins to brush off and involved a ladder to get to the wings.

All of the above prompted me to ask the question about the transportation in a light aircraft of products like Kilfrost. Is it a definite no-no or could it be a solution to the problem I've already outlined of deicing away from base?

Last edited by Contacttower; 18th Jan 2013 at 10:06.