PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2013, 10:02
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There were, I suspect, many visual clues that something was as it should be. OK, the T.L's were at idle, but think about the attitude to maintain the G/S at such a low speed. I'm surprised they could even see the rwy. The attitude should have been 0 - 2 degrees. It must have been much higher than that. This was masked by the F.D's being centred; and if the F.D's are centred then everything MUST be ALL OK; so said my instructor, I think? Same was true of the Airbus Air Inter crash at Strasbourg. The one where they dialled in 3300ROD instead of 3.3 FPA. They had 5 degrees nose down, in the brown, yet no alarm bells. Both accidents were on the automatics, so it's not a flying/handling problem, it's a lack of appreciation of performance parameters in any given scenario. That could be enhanced by less FD flying, or better training in knowing what the attitude should be and looking THROUGH the FD instead of looking AT the FD. If this has not been instilled at the TQ stage it never will be. I see this every day in the sim and my students are hammered with it. We've seen it will save your life, and when they question this philosophy I quote some the relevant crashes. They catch on quick afterwards.