PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rough reception at Popham!
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2013, 20:41
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know nothing of this incident.

I have been to Popham more times than I can recall. I havent had any "issues".

I have a few observations.

1. There has always been a great deal of confusion about the remit of an A/G operator. Without doubt I have heard many A/G operators going well beyond their remit. From a regulatory point of view their remit is clear for good reason and I suspect legally there is even better reason that they should take great care not to push the boundaries. Equally they are often well placed to observe dangerous situations developing. None of us should want to allow a dangerous situation to develop and in this case if the A/G operator felt that was what was happening I dont have an issue with him drawing the pilots attention to the danger.
2. Neither the pilot or the A/G operator has any business turning the exchange into a "debate". To the extent that either or both do, they are culpable, the pilot no more excused than the A/G operator. There is no more or less reason why if the pilot feels the A/G operator wants a debate he shouldnt say "please can we discuss this later on the ground, or over the telephone" - that line is not reserved for the A/G operator!
3. Follow these simple rules and you have just avoided any dispute over the radio.
4. If you as the pilot have an issue I cant see why you would not want to discuss your issue with the A/G operator personally, or if he refuses to do so, the next person up the chain of command - whoever that might be. If the discussion doesnt go well and you feel you are in the "right" then by all means air your grievance further (and perhaps on here) but it would seem unreasonable to do so without at least having the discussion. Surely it is only fair to at least give the other fella a chance to explain his side of the story.
5. I know that all might sound too civilised and butter wouldnt melt, but after all it is not road rage where the other person might just be a total nut, but this should be an exchange between two professionals who are prepared to take very seriously what we do because when we get it wrong the consequences can be all too serious.