PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rough reception at Popham!
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2013, 11:06
taxistaxing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've personally witnessed someone getting a b****ing over the radio within minutes of starting up at Popham. The guy had taxied from one end of the flight line to the other and made the heinous omission of not announcing his intentions to the guy behind the desk.
I have to admit, I didn't have a great experience there when I visited over the summer.

The A/G operator only answered calls sporadically when I was joining, and after I'd landed I asked him where he wanted me to park. No answer. So I parked up near to the clubhouse, went into the building (expecting the usual friendly airfield welcome), and had to wait while the miserable s*d behind the desk was having a loud argument with someone on the phone. Then he hung up and started to give me a rollocking for parking too close to the building! He shut up when I pointed out some of the club aircraft were parked closer!

When I left he ordered me to depart on the runway with trees on the end, rather than the other runway as I "wasn't familiar with the noise abatement procedures" even though I'm a qualified PPL and they don't look that difficult.

Shame really because it seems like a nice airfield, just lets itself down slightly on the customer service front.