PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training scotland
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2013, 16:40
riverrock83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Kenny
Presuming that you're looking at a PPL(A), at Prestwick there is Prestwick Flying Club (where I'm at) and Prestwick Flight Center.
Both do PPLs. The club is - as the name suggests - more of a club environment, where you will find everyone from BA and Easyjet Captains doing some aerobatics to retired folk going out for a bimble. The instructors are all hugely experienced (chief is a current British Airways captain) and do it mainly for the fun of instructing.
As they are all only part time instructors, you may struggle to do a more intensive course - but they match instructor and student together to try and make the best fit. Planes are a PA28 or a Chipmunk. If you are thinking about joining a group, or owning your own plane after completing your PPL, you can probably get much more involved with everything (including the running of the club) than else where, as they don't just teach you to fly to pass a test.

I can't comment as much on the flight centre, other that its a more normal "school" environment (with a secretary to organise everyone / answer the phone etc!). They have been very friendly every time I've gone round and you are more likely to be able to do an intensive course there.

I'd email, rather than phoning the club as there are no permanent staff, and arrange a time to see what its about. With the flight center, give them a ring as they have permanent staff at the end of the phone.

Happy flying!

Last edited by riverrock83; 13th Jan 2013 at 16:42.