PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2013, 11:36
maxdrypower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pfft

From my POV I would agree with truckflyer just dont do it . Unless you have a lot of excess money sitting around and can afford to never get a job flying .
I was 38 when I started and had about 200hrs in a ppl . Luckily I already had offer of a job as an instructor which was fortunate as I came out of training in 2009 just as recession was kicking in about 5 months after the demise of excel.
It was this instructing experience that led to current position as an AOC captain flying night freight. I am also in the hold pool to fly for a turboprop freight carrier.
I however am in the minority . Everyone of my class mates under 30 sold their asses to pikey air . All those over 30 are either instructing or have returned to their old jobs. The chap I did my FIC with hasnt turned a prop since .
It is unfortunately a young mans game and the PTF eejits are destroying it piece by piece.
There was a time when you qualifed became an instructor flew for an aoc moved to turboprops then onto jets , it wud appear those days are gone .
I have 2200 hrs now and it is worth diddly in the eyes of many airlines . They would prefer a spotty 21 yr old who is prepared to fork out go knows how much of his parents money for a TR and a gash contract.
It is a sad fact that as it stands at the moment I firmly believe there are 16 yr olds still at school who have yet to decide on a career path who have a better chance of flying an airliner than I do !
There are many friends of mine and friends of theirs out there with 200hrs sending cv's to anyone with an email address on a daily basis and getting nowehere . think arefully before you add yourself to this group.
Just my opinion