PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2013, 10:24
Gentle Climb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Old?

You will find a wide variance of opinion here and whilst a fair amount is ill informed and inaccurate, some is valid and you should try to take account of this input.

Firstly, don't get sucked in to some sort of confirmation bias when you read a post telling you that age isn't going to be a problem because this is what you want to hear. There are always going to be exceptions. On the other hand don't be put off by someone telling you that you have no chance.

Whatever you decide, make sure that you make an informed decision and if you do decide to go for it, choose your route to potential employment carefully...give yourself the best chances when you get your licence. That probably won't be the cheapest route!

For what it is worth, I started training aged 39...I am 43 now and I am awaiting a date to start a type rating with an airline. It was stated to me that one of the factors in my recruitment was my life experience. There is the odd company out there who will look at older candidates but you will have to go and find them and as a top tip, don't send in a CV...

Having gone through the pain of hearing nothing from many, many approaches for a very long time, and watched as younger applicants with similar or even inferior flying records have walked in to jobs, if you asked me 'would I do it again?' I am not sure that I would. I know I have been very fortunate.