PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flaps extension
Thread: Flaps extension
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2013, 13:58
de facto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed, it is our company procedure to anticipate the question and explain that in ICING conditions, the configuration is selected closer to the runway than during normal conditions.
You also brief them on how much reverse you are going to use not to scare them if you use more or less than they are used to?

When we got to the destination I read the riot act to the crew saying: on a short taxi, stop and do the darn checklist or I would report them to the boss. They came up with a LAME excuse which I wouldn't let them get away with, so I reported them
You airline didnt have FOQA by then?
If it had happened to you,would you have reported yourself to your boss?

I was deadheading on a 737 at a time when I was on a different type and had not yet flown the 737. We were at San Francisco, California flying in rainy weather...NOT ICING and the taxi was unusually long going to runway 10s and the flaps were not set. I was in uniform and asked the FA to remind the crew...FA came back and said that the procedure in icing conditions was to delay flap selection...I reminded the FA that it was raining and NOT NEAR the freezing point. Flaps were selected shortly after I asked.
Were they in icing conditions yes or no?they followed their aircraft manuals/SOPs and yet you were not satisfied
but in my two cases it was just dumb not to select the flaps early on...and it is very wrong to let any passenger feel uncomfortable about a safety concern.
But who were you to break their ? Were you the captain?were you in charge? Or were you just a guy who caught a free ride?
Maybe you were a distraction to the operating crew and therefore a safety hazard for your fellow passengers?