PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Women in Aviation???
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2003, 02:03
Woomera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Dan, Hugh and the enlightened others, gender has nothing to do with it, except as Hugh avers as a bonus in their approach.

mrs woomera and the princesses woomera are monitoring this thread closely and keep making references to women posessing superior skills in something called "multitasking" and "seeing eyes" denied to the male gender.

Gotta go for the "seeing eyes" thing as in, "wheres the (looking in fridge or cupboard) blah blah? .........it's in the fridge, cupbd etc.......I can't find it!............look,........ there it is (row 46 shelf 52) .......fact that 'tomato sauce' had been transferred into unlabeled bottle for as yet unexplained reasons, has nothing with it to do.

"Multitasking" I think means the ability to carry on a chick type telephone conversation with a friend, giving son marching orders for the day, whilst making his lunch, making sure the clothes he wears aren't more than a week old, sorting out the cleaning lady, redesigning the interior of the toaster with the meat mallet and
advising me on how to deal with current business crisis, all at the same time. I'm always overawed.

Problem was explained to me listening to one of the excellent ABC interviews.It was a stunning revelation and so simple when you undertstand it.
And I hasten to say I am not being patronising when I convey that it is the difference in the way that they and we think.
I thought I already knew that, but had not worked out why.

Very clever scientist explained why mrs woomera and I for example do not travel well together the in the car, say when directions to the destination are concerned.
It goes something like this.
We are driving to a destination to which she has been but not I, and I'm driving.
mrs: go down the street that goes to the beach to that big shopping centre then turn left, keep going until you see a big house with a purple fence, you are nearly there, then when you get to the park, it's the house over the other side next to the laneway.
Translated to men speak,
go (up) North along ABC street for a kilometre turn left into XYZ street for another 2km, (you will, incidentally, see a big purple fence on the left that I thought was pretty), when you get to the park turn off and its the house blah blah.

It's simple, she is object/picture oriented, I am not.