PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfires found in Burma
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2013, 19:07
pvmw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm rather surprised no-one has mentioned it, and it isn't an exact parallel, but there was a P38 Lightning recovered in the '90s from under 250 ft of ice in Greenland. It was unprotected and covered by an accumulation of snow that fell over the succeeding decades and compacted into ice. That was damaged, but not completely crushed, and is now restored and flying.

Aircraft | Glacier Girl |

If that can survive being buried 250ft down, then I'd have thought that the Spitfires, if still dismantled, crated and protected would have an equal chance. Of course, the ice acted to preserve the P38 and the environment in Burma won't be so benign - but that aspect of the preservation will depend on the quality of the original packaging.

As for restoration, if its possible to restore to flying condition a Spitfire that has been buried in salt water/sand for 40 years then I can't imagine that crated/preserved ones would present much of a problem.

About the Project | Spitfire I P9374

I don't know if they are there - I hope they are - but I think the pessimists might consider the examples above before saying its impossible. Either way, we should know soon.

Incidentally, there are still 5 more P38s buried there. Also a pair of B17s, but they didn't survive the crushing effect of the ice.

The lost squadron

Last edited by pvmw; 6th Jan 2013 at 19:11.