PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question on short cuts and direct routings
Old 6th Jan 2013, 17:32
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question on short cuts and direct routings

Greetings!

My question starts with a "once upon a time" story... Last Friday, flying CDG-Cologne/Bonn (CGN); after a direct DIKOL, Paris ACC (131.175MHz) clears us direct MMD (Montmédy VOR), then as we approach it, transfers us to Brussels ACC (125.000MHz). On first contact, the ATCO answers "xxx, radar contact". I then ask for the (usual) short cut to ARCKY or NOR (Norvenich VOR) which prevents a dogleg in the route, and he answers "did you ask Paris?" Well, of course not! Every time I've done so, they've answered with a transfer to Brussels... When I tell him we didn't, his answer is: "well, you should have!" and - that's it! Then, over 5min later, he eventually gives us direct NOR.

Call me paranoïd, but I thought I could tell by the tone in the ATCO's voice that he didn't want to do the red-eye shift...

My question is: how as crew are we supposed to know which ACC to ask for a given short cut? As mentioned, whenever I asked Paris for a direct ARCKY or NOR, they never gave it. Was this a particular ATCO being uncooperative, and did he make up this explanation for not giving us the short cut that we otherwise get every single time? I have to add that workload is probably not a problem, with only a few cargo feeder aircraft such as us flying to CGN or LGG at that time of day...

Thanks for the answers.

Cheers