PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - 2
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2013, 11:15
BALHR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA are not going to divorce from IB however much you would like the idea. Much in the same way your list of destinations in East Asia there may be a possibility the odd one or two on your list could sustain a direct flight. If it can it may be on BA's radar however I do not see any of them coming to fruitaion in the short term.
Well all I was asking out of my lists of possible destinations (in the UK, China and South America) is to see what new routes are viable for BA out of LHR/LGW by asking fellow users for their opinion
Of course it’s not likely unless they buy a lot more LHR/LGW/LCY slots and later LHR becomes much bigger…

As for a BA-IB divorce well the trouble is that IB is facing a fight for survival in a country that is in a poor economic state and is facing a uncertain future (politically and economically), not only that buts its losing ground in its main market (Europe-Latin America) to its rivals and even one of its own OW partners (LATAM)

BA on the other hand is doing fairly well, but still faces the problem of strong competition between its rivals in Europe, North America and the Middle East

In other words, both airlines have different needs, are quite distant to each other (unlike AF-KL and LH/LX/OS/SN) and don’t have too much in common (bar OW membership and having A320s as the main NB type)

That is why I have called for a separation, so that IB can have the financial resources and survive the hard time and BA can focus on better competing with its rivals…

BALHR -

No.

That's what IB is for
Well it’s not doing a good job for BA, its falling behind in the Latin American market to LH/LX/OS/SN (with their partners in the region), AF/KL and even its fellow OW member LATAM

Also IB doesn’t have a good reputation in terms of premium passengers and is facing financial problems of them own, along with the fact they are cutting connecting flights to the rest of Europe and located in a country which is facing major Economic and Political issues

BA is better off launching flights to Latin America out of London with a codesharing partnership with LATAM…