PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA PPL based on a foreign licence, can I or can't I fly night visual?
Old 5th Jan 2013, 00:32
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFP written, as per the info in ASA Test Prep book (for IR/CFII/IFP), focuses on the US-specific stuff/law/regs. I haven't taken it myself, so can't tell the actual composition/stats on the screen.
Anyway, having studied for ATP, you'd pass IFP for sure, it just takes extra 'legwork' getting it added. If you do the IFP test BEFORE visiting FSDO, then you shouldn't have to get the Temporary Airman Cert issued twice. Only then do the flight review stuff. IFP written DOES NOT need endorsement/authorisation from FAA instructor, just as few other instrument&instructor writtens (not full FAA IR written, though). Again, no need for FAA IR if you got current/valid ICAO IR for ATP.

Mind you, you only need the IFP and IR privileges specifically on validation/restricted certificate, to actually exercise the privileges/be PIC on flight plan and/or IMC, for private pilot privileges, at least, let's not drag any Part 135 stuff in etc.

As Dublinpilot pointed, you're looking for troubles where they don't seem to be.
Acting as PIC in VMC (night) is then non-issue. Hood flying/currency in VMC on VFR flight? Non-issue, again.

Wanting to count night time flying as instrument time? Just go simulated with qualified safety pilot or instructor onboard. If IR qualified and current, then even IFR is legal.

Yeah, as comparison, as you said, you don't have the Day VFR limitation on licence anymore. Instrument training/proficiency or actual night flying is sufficient as it looks.
In the USA, night VFR flying is what it says, VFR. Yes, it's good idea to have some handy instrument gages and GPS as backup and cross-reference, but to keep track of VISUAL flying, looking outside in better than IMC conditions. On no surface light, no celestial illumination night, it can be more of IMC, but not IMC cig and vis.

Back to the comparison. I just looked up at the training requirements of Night VFR rating in Australia, for example, (CASA the CAA's name) and part of syllabus/experience to be met, is basic instrumen training over 10 hours incl some navigation and specific time in pattern. The nav shall contain use of radio nav. Makes perfect sense to me from safety point of view. Anything happens, losing track/orientation, get back on instruments if not periodically scanning it as well. No such requirements in FAA system specifically for night flying (no pax and/or hire and reward stuff, just PPL privileges or training).

Last edited by MartinCh; 5th Jan 2013 at 00:45.