PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ACA 'ProPilot'
Thread: ACA 'ProPilot'
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 19:29
Becketts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like wrong...maybe differently informed?

Simply put - you get what you pay for. The course is very competitively priced, but you're not paying Oxford sums, so don't expect brand new shiny aircraft. That being said, the Kissimmee base has 5 newish (<13yrs old, 2 G1000 equipped) Cessna's available for those that don't like the cadets - just expect to pay a little more.

All the incidents you list can be attributed (for the most part) to pilot error - Runway overshoots (poor planning/decision making), Engine fire's (improper start procedure...yes that's right!). The very sad accident that involved the Scottish Brother AND Sister was not the result of mechanical failure or any other shortcomings in the schools aircraft. Like I said, I'm not saying the maintenance is A+, just remember the PA-28's are getting on a bit, things are bound to break. I happen to know two of the mechanics there very well, and I know for an absolute fact that there is nothing that they wouldn't do to ensure that the aircraft are airworthy and in fit condition for flight. If they were not happy with it, they would not sign it off.

There is no high horse, I'm just a firm believer in taking charge of your own training rather than expecting to be spoon fed by your instructor/ground instructor. Everything you are supposed to know is in those books you are given in the beginning, and that is made pretty clear - yet the books don't get read and the ground school gets blamed for the students lack of knowledge. Maybe he did use his phone the whole time - I'd ask for a refund if you're paying for it - but ultimately it's down to the student to take control of their own training.

I know some very excellent students at that school that will go far in this industry, but I also know many more lazy ones that are wasting their money. I understand that you want to let others know about your poor experience, but I'm mindful that this doesn't turn into another "Bash OFT/ACA" thread, because based on MY experience with the school, it's really not deserved