PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2012, 18:08
TylersDad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Old To Start Aviation Career at age 40??

So here I find myself at 40, laid off after years working in a field I was never crazy about. How time flies! I obtained my PPL when I was 17 but haven't flown since college--sports and a full academic load had me consumed. I always planned to go back to aviation but I landed a lucrative career out of college and ran for the money, after accumulating debt. 15 years later here I am.

The aviation industry was pretty weak when I got out of college (mid 90s)...another reason I opted for a desk job.

I have NO IDEA what the industry is like today. But aviation is and always has been my primarily interest. I'd love to fly, and am open to the possibilities--airlines, charters, corporate, other.

1- Is it a bad idea to pursue this at my age?

2- If not what are suggested routes to take?

3- What sectors in aviation are most likely to hire someone in my situation?

4- I have been on zoloft for a year (it's like prozac). I have ZERO history of mental illness, I've just had bouts of depression (probably from my boring day job, LOL). Will being on zoloft prevent me from obtaining a PPL or getting hired in the industry? If so, could I stop taking zoloft and proceed with aviation (or is it one of those deals where if you've been on it before, you're out)?

Thanks so much. The help would be beyond appreciated!