PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2012, 14:27
[email protected]

Received 629 Likes on 272 Posts
Crab, you have also criticised crews directly
I may have done early on in the original SARH process but I also apologised for some unfounded criticisms I made.

Again, criticisms made were in reference to claimed capability vs actual training - I am cited for being arrogant but so many claims were made that we over-trained and that the same capability could be maintained with little or no training because experience was strong, that I had to call foul because it isn't true.

Give a top quality winchman 2 years of doing minimal training (especially in the water at night) and then see how poor he is - he is still a winchman and can straighten the wire but his actual (as opposed to presumed) skill levels are very much lower. If you want to accept that lower level of ability then that is up to you but don't pretend it doesn't exist.

We can all believe that we don't experience skill-fade and we can kid ourselves that we will just man up and get the job done when the time comes but in our game, the only way to reduce risks and maximise the safety of both the crews and the survivors is to train hard and smart - and that costs money.

Last edited by [email protected]; 29th Dec 2012 at 14:27.