PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2012, 00:06
jimf671

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Do you really think that there aren't other parts of the world (northern and southern hemisphere), aside from northern Europe, that don't have similar or even more challenging latitude/terrain/sea conditions?
Well, actually, having sometimes had my head in wave resource studies for weeks on end, I know there are other places with very similar conditions. About half a dozen of them actually. None of those are adjacent to significant populations. Numbers, numbers, numbers!

About 80 million people face the wrath of our wild side of the North Atlantic, many of whom will be served by the contract in question, whereas a little over 1.5 million live in the Atlantic provinces of Canada and 60 thousand in Greenland. The entire permanent population south of 45 degrees south is about the same as Iceland.

It is not the case that I do not want us to learn from other territories, indeed I presented on what we can learn from other territories last weekend. The first places I'd look though would be Norway, Ireland, Iceland and Sweden.