PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tackling Engine Fire After Take Off in Multi Engine Heli
Old 20th Dec 2012, 15:42
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Crab. You have had a lot of flak over the years and generally I have, if not in posts because I am not a professional SAR pilot, but in thought, sympathised with your views and opinions. With respect; you know damned all about civil offshore helicopter operations apart from being an interested observer.

Perhaps then the SOPs need a review?
These SOPs have been in force for at least 45 years to my personal knowledge and have yet to be caught out in any situation.

As a standard exercise I give an engine fire at 200' in the cruise
How do you cruise at 200' when the helidecks you are traveling between are 200/250 AMSL?

you are in a perfect place to ditch from 50'. If you wait for the prescribed time (30 secs on the SK) after the second bottle goes in, it will still take you a further 20 secs to get the aircraft on the water, even from 50'.
What about the passengers? It is all very well you and TC talking about flogging about the oggin at 50' but you only have pingers or winch crew on board. You haven't got a fuselage packed with humanity that are already celebrating their trip home. Have you smelt the aftershave and deodorent? A military aircraft only does half it's T/Os at MAUW; an offshore helicopter does them ALL at MAUW and the first thing it goes for is VTOSS. That is secondary to any emergency. Should you have any emergency you still go into the climb profile because you need SPACE. Space to assess what is happening. Space to warn the passengers so they have time to zip up their suits and arrange there rebreathers. Space to allow the flotation gear to inflate properly so that it does turn you upside down by not being properly inflated. Space to orientate yourself and brief the other pilot so that there is the best chance of surviving. Trying to do it all from 50' will only end in tears.

Especially your bank manager's.