PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orange diarrhoea
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2012, 10:31
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I might comment further on this, I am a Gatwick-based TRE and my total duty hours are 1460 for the last 365 days of which over 90 were home standbys. Sure, within that there have been some truly dreadful days, as we all experience from time-to-time (I once had a 19 hour duty day, but that is another story!). I accept that will be less than a line captain as sim duties are 7 hours 20 mins compared to much longer on a flight duty usually. Nonetheless, my life is not untypical. I also accept that the cumulative effect of working bizarre hours (particularly if you work in the sim which runs 24/7) is very fatiguing. I reckon an easyJet TRE will earn around £130k - £140k a year (there are regional variations so that is only a rough guide), so it is not exactly a financial catastrophe.

I can only concur with the excellent advice of FANS about not doing something absolutely insane like walking out without a job until you take some time out. We all have dark moments where our world seems grim - the key is recognising that and not acting unwisely as a result of it. There are many Captains who have left easyJet and who have come to regret the decision. Speaking to them beforehand, there was nothing that could be done to persuade them that their proposed course of action was not in their own best interests. Clearly some have gone on to do well, particularly those who went to the desert or BA, but there are many who love to turn the clocks back and make a different choice.