PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHFNI Stories!
Thread: SHFNI Stories!
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2012, 21:22
Simonta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The day I learned about "incandescent with rage"

Cpl Dick P****, sootie, sitting in the line crewroom one morning, circa 1984. Sqn WO (I can't recall the name) hovers into the room.

"Cpl P****, I saw you leave the squadron at 5.15 last night. You know that shift change is 5.30." "Not me sir", says Dick, "it must have been someone else".

WO, visibly irked; "Don't argue with me Cpl, I saw you leave at 5.15".

"Definitely not me sir, I left at about 5".

Incandescent with rage was the only possible description of said WO's state.

Surprised no-one has mentioned burgers from "chogies". 'H' L***le and his pals jamming at the Swift retreat toga parties. Plod standing back and watching as the RGJs and Guards smash each other up, and the NAAFI, until one of them pops a wooly alligator in through the window, rapidly followed by various grunts leaving via all available exits. Frequent radio checks on HF to "Architect", just to see if it was the girl who could peel of your undercrackers with her silky, sexy voice. Turning the screen wash jets on the lineys Landrover through 90 degrees and then choosing to wash the the screen as we drove past the RAFP babies on the main gate.

Sitting in a pub somewhere in Norfolk on a day off from pre-NI training at the Stamford range. Showing each other bar and magic tricks. Gimlet says "watch this one" and proceeds to stub a cigarette out on the end of his thumb. We were suitably impressed until a few minutes later when we noticed Gimlet had his thumb immersed in this beer under the table with an extremely false and very fixed "I'm OK" kind of smile on this face.

Coating the marshaling bats in paraffin and lighting them to help guide Walter back home one foggy night.

Feeling like sh*t when handing the line over to the incoming night shift boss and realising that I'd left the V813 cab in the shed. Dashing to get it out and dinked a blade tip on the hangar door.

Feeling fantastic when we got an urgent out of hours callout for V813 and myself and 4 other guys had her on the pan and warmed up less than 15 minutes after being in bed and getting the call.

Ah, happy days.