PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - mobile phones
Thread: mobile phones
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2012, 10:27
strake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not being cute - It really is a mystery to me. I'm coming to believe that for some, any kind of restriction is an unacceptable imposition. As I get older and grumpier (it'll happen to all of you in the end, believe me) I find that there are more and more things, and people, that are genuinely unacceptable: The use of mobile phones is some way down my list and has several noughts after it.
I think it simply comes down to restrictions people think are "fair and sensible" against those they don't - rightly or wrongly. For instance, sitting down on take-off and when landing is a "restriction" but people can obviously work out why they should do it. However, no matter how hard authorities try to say otherwise, the majority of people just don't believe a mobile phone (or indeed 200) can cause a serious problem to an aircraft's ability to operate. I've observed the restriction gradually being eroded in the USA. I'm absolutely sure that a good percentage of the people I watch texting and calling "before the door shuts", just put their phone away without turning it off and then pull it out again just after the wheels touch down.
I'm not suggesting it's acceptable, just my thoughts on why it's such an issue for some. For me, equally older and grumpier, I can't be bothered using the thing anyway and save my vitriol for important things like why do I have to spend 12 hours in the close company of people who invariably irritate me by being noisy, smelly, ugly or in fact, just "there"?
See, I told you I was grumpy.