PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows - Flt Lt Jon Egging Inquest
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2012, 09:57
Easy Street

Received 83 Likes on 39 Posts
Although I would suggest that those who "need" to know what happened on that awful day knew about 16 months ago.
If that was the case, all those who currently fly high-performance aircraft would know. Sadly that is not true.

The vast majority of FJ aircrew (of my acquaintance, anyway) correctly 'guessed' G-LOC as the cause after seeing video footage of the accident, so in that sense LAL is right. However, the restricted internal distribution of interim SI reports (which has seemingly got tighter in the MAA era) means that aggravating factors continue to enter the rumour mill following the occasional release of a brief arse-covering note from the hierarchy (with no indication that it's related to any accident investigation, let alone a specific one). One such note was obviously linked to this accident, but what about the other seemingly un-prompted and utterly trivial pronouncements of recent months? In the absence of a joined-up report it's inevitable that the crew-room investigators will come up with additional 'causes' - and that's no way to run a safety system. If the rumours are correct, the aggravating factors have probably been brought together hundreds of times since the tragic loss of Eggman. I for one will be interested to see how the reviewing authorities square one of the rumoured aggravating factors against a long-standing RAF policy - enough said, as those on the inside will know what I'm on about.

Last edited by Easy Street; 16th Dec 2012 at 09:59.