PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help Please!
Thread: Help Please!
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2012, 10:59
2close

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point with the flying experience, FTE themselves suggested getting at least some experience before taking the leap, just to make sure it was what you really wanted to do.
It's very good advice.

I stopped noting some time back the number of persons turning up for trial lessons who were adamant that flying was the only career for them then 1/2 hour later had a completely different take on things.

I recall one F-16 Flight Sim expert who couldn't wait to get in the air and (never having flown before) wanted to know if we could roll and loop the PA-28 and also pull it round a 90 degree banked turn on the stabilator. Fifteen minutes later, following a very mundane climb to cruise and five minutes of straight and level, said wannabbee fast jet jockey was desperate to get on the ground and I had to cut short the TL, much to the amusement of his family members in the back. I think big brother is still ripping the p*** out of him on that one.

Most people will settle into it after a few flights (including possibly the lad above) but that doesn't apply to all and some will never get over the odd (sometimes debilitating) sensations experienced by the body during flight.

The botom line is to make sure you are in the first group before you start spending any significant sums of cash - it may be cool and impressive to tell your friends that you are at some super-duper Integrated FTO learning to be an airline pilot but it's not so cool when they find out that you just squandered £40,000 on ATPL(A) theory and half a dozen flying lessons in the aircraft (assuming you get ANY refunds on course costs), after each of which you sat on your bed holding your head in your hands over a bucket.

Be careful - these big organisations with lots of snazzy kit are just that because they know how to make lots of money.........yours!