PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How strict are Emirates about checking baggage late
Old 13th Dec 2012, 12:20
darkroomsource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not directed specifically at the OP, so don't take it personally.

Why do people insist on trying to make connections as tight as possible?
Why book a flight at 1800 if you know you won't be able to get before the 90 minute check-in time?
Why not give yourself an additional 30 minutes or even an hour in case there's a traffic jam or some other delay?
Are people really afraid or sitting for an extra 1/2 hour or hour in the airport with 'nothing to do'? Bring a book.

I used to try for the shortest connection times, giving myself just enough time to get from leaving work to the airport/train station, then having just enough time at the airport to get from one gate to another...

But a few years ago, having had a string of flights go through Chicago (always late, always), I realized that having a 1 hour connection time often meant I'd spend 3 or 4 hours in the airport because the inbound flight arrived 30 or 45 minutes late and I missed the outbound flight, then I had to find an agent and get put on another flight, and there might not be seats, and then (you get the picture).

However, now I give myself 2 hours between flights, and up that to 3 or 4 for long haul flights. And I get to the airport 2 or 2 1/2 hours before the first flight. I haven't missed a flight or connection in years, nor have I had my luggage sent to the wrong country since I started doing this.

It takes days, weeks even, to get some place by car/train/bus/boat, and only hours by plane, what's a few more minutes in the airport compared to the comfort of not rushing or missing a plane or losing your luggage?

The people of the world need to relax, read a book, take life a little slower, smell the flowers.