PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Virgin Be Tighter........
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2003, 22:46
E.P.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool SHOULD VIRGIN(S) BE TIGHTER?............

Just been reviewing the recruitment process for a number of Airlines worldwide. Apart from some contract employers, the standard industry screening process is quite extensive, particulary post Sept 11. e.g.

Stage 1: Critical review of detailed application
Stage 2: Intial interview
Stage 3: Indepth Psych/ skills testing
Stage 4: 2 days of ASTRONAUT level medical exam.
Stage 5: Stringent Sim Check. (i.e. overbank=FAIL)
Stage 6: Final interview with a plethora of tech questions.
Stage 7: Critical review of all of the above along with criminal history checks, accident history, etc, etc...

For the lucky few....
At some time much later an offer for at best an F/O position with command years away. (15yrs in QF for NG command.)
During which time they are scrutinised to death.

VBs nominal process is a stark contrast.

I really do not believe the Staff Cv is considered at all. (Anti-discrimination smoke screen only!!)
With the required nominations from friends within or in high places and the correct status re: '89; a 30 min "don't fall off the chair" chat and you know your fate that arvo.

Almost all are accepted.

With upgrade to NG Capt. in WORLD RECORD minimum experience/ time (Impluse 1900 f/os, no jet exp to NG Capt. in six months) and with no time for scrutiny i.e. smoking gun to reveal itself or CRM skills to be honed.

A titanic difference in the selection process for the same job.

Especially when one would expect that VB should require much more investigation into the candidate given, the extraordinarily quick promotion once employed.

E.G. Foreign pilots with experience that is impossible to confirm and beliefs that may not conform with ours.

Last edited by E.P.; 28th Jan 2003 at 23:38.