PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2012, 13:42
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Piglet - So you and Hedski aren't singing off the same songsheet then - you say GMAP 1 is a mode on a search radar optimised for ground mapping and he says GMAP1
is designed for short range mapping of small targets in water, less than 50 miles, using a short pulse width at a high PRF for maximum resolution to allow good definition between adjacent targets
Which is it? Ideally a ground mapping mode has a high data rate so it would suggest that a high PRF would be the best option.

Out of interest, what is your SOP for letting down IMC over the water? Do you have to make a number of runs with your 120 radar to clear a box to let down into? Surely turning in the descent isn't an option since you can't actually see where you are going. How long does this take?

I don't think I ever said ours was a ground mapping radar. What ours does have is a vastly superior sweep so searches and let downs are easier and more efficient and the even bigger benefit of a very well trained radop who regularly practices getting down to minimum radar range (75m) day and night against vessels and land targets.

A little bird told me that sometimes on civsar the cojo just calls targets using the weather radar and the winchop does the actual directing of the let down using the moving map display in the back - surely that can't be true

As to the future - who knows, that will depend on who gets the contract, how much they pay, what slots are available and a host of other variables. I have never wanted to be anyones glorious leader but if you don't think you need some education regarding low level night ops on SAR the you might be in for a rude awakening when you have to go inland on a dark and shi88y night
It's only the Navy who can't deal with boat axis decks isn't it?

Flounder - yes. However, this new contract is going to need to fill another 6 flights with SAR captains and co-pilots (the winchops and winchmen is a whole other ball game of qualified personnel shortages altogether). Given that this is a competition and that costs will be be a big consideration in the modern economic climate, what incentive (given the DfT's low minimas for co jos) is there for the winning contractor to pay more than they need to in order to fulfil the terms of the contract? And if you were the 5000 hours 10 years experience co pilot, would you accept the same as someone with the minimum qualifications?

Last edited by [email protected]; 7th Dec 2012 at 17:00.