PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk in a crosswind
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2012, 09:13
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thud, I can only speak from personal experience. The aerobatic types I have flown beside the Chippy are Citabria, Stearman, Yak 52, and Aerobat and of all those I personally find the Chippy's sytem my favorite and the Yak's the worst (especially if you let the free-castor nosewheel cock-over to full lock).

At least some of the aeroplanes you mention don't have free-castoring tailwheels. Tieing the tailwheel to the rudder with springs removes that carefree ability to spin the aeroplane 360 degrees in almost its own length (and if one asks why anyone would want to do that, let me just say 'because it's fun'). I suspect that if the Chippy had that arrangement, its unusual braking system might lose its charm.

As my check out instructor on the type said, back in 1979; "if you can taxy this aeroplane confidently, you can fly it". I doubt he'd have said that if it had toe brakes. So I guess the real answer as why I think it's best for that aeroplane is 'it suits it so well'.

I've flown a great many light aeroplanes in the 3.5 decades (nearly) that I've been flying, and the Chipmunk is, for me, far and away the nicest to fly. Far from the most capable, and in some respects quite limited (range!). But definately the one with the biggest grin factor.

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 7th Dec 2012 at 09:16.