PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk in a crosswind
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2012, 00:58
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
You have to look at the philosophy behind the Chippy's brake system in context. It was designed to fill a requirement for a military training aircraft in 1945 - it wasn't designed for weekend flyers in the 21st century. Most RAF fighter at the time had a brake system which was actuated by a bicycle style lever on the control column, differential braking (and steering) was acheived by moving the rudder bar. As it was was designed to train pilots who would untimately end up on these types, it had a similar system.

As it is, I don't think there's a lot wrong with it. In three years flying with it professionally, it was fine for the purpose. The biggest issue we had was that you could get brake fade on the leeward side if taxying for any length of time in a crosswind which would neccessitate a stop pointing into wind to cool the offending unit. And out students coped well with the system - they were ab-initios who usually soloed in just over 10 hours of instruction.

As for the type's other qualities, personally there isn't a light aeroplane I have flown which matches the Chippy (I've flown about 30 types from the usual spam cans through to Falcos, Extras and Pitts') It's handling is superlative and it's the most enjoyable type from a pure handling perspective. Sure, it could do with a bit more power and an engine that keeps runnng upside down, but all light aircraft are a compromise. And it's interesting to note that the aircraft bought in to replace the Chippy (the Bulldog) only replaced it in the University Air Squadrons. The Chipmunk remained the elemntary trainer for regular RAF pilots until 1993 because it produced better pilots. That's 45 years in service!

As a training aircraft, it's exceptional.

Last edited by Dan Winterland; 7th Dec 2012 at 02:25. Reason: Spilling