PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 19:54
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Positions are cross referenced via several sources but not using any 'graphics overlay'
which sources?
The RCS highlighted cloud and vis limits below which the aircraft would not do overwater Ops because of the rad alt - if you want to pretend that is not a serious limitation then carry on. Pointing the finger at Lossie not having a paramedic doesn't make the CG aircraft any more capable - they are both LIM SAR and not on full operational state.

Primus701A when used in GMAP1/2 modes is not a weather radar, different band, PRF etc
are you sure you don't just mean different processing? you can use different levels of processing with different algorithms to enhance different modes whereas changing the band and PRF would be unusual I would have thought. The honeywell page only says the radar can assist in navigation by helping identify significant landmarks - not quite the same as claiming it is a ground mapping radar and they don't call it anything but a weather radar! And doppler processing is good for weather and turbulence detection but cock-all use for ground mapping.

The not running out of crews would be the case if milSAR was allowed to be fully manned and MoD saw it as any sort of priority - which it would if SAR was to stay in the mil. I can't defend the state we are in now with rearcrew manning - it was forecast but no-one did anything about it

It'll be ok though, service agreements will prevent anybody from queue jumping if they lack certain credentials
such as current UK SAR experience, NVG etc.

It's good to see that this new and progressive service will ensure that time in the company counts for more than experience or ability - that must be value for money. As for CRM, you might be surprised to know that most people think I am quite good at that as well

What amuses me most is that the lowest paid and least experienced guy on the crew (ie the co-jo) will be the one letting you down IMC on the radar - all those R22 and 206 hours will be dead useful then