PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC Captain O.P. Jones
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 18:40
Jhieminga

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
BOAC Captain O.P. Jones

This thread has its origins in the Stratocruiser thread, but I felt that it might get some more attention this way.

Old-Duffer asked for information about BOAC Captain Oscar Philip Jones 1898 - 1980 CVO, OBE.
He is featured in most (if not all) of the BOAC Junior Jet Club logbooks:

His name comes up regularly as he was apparently a bit of a character. A contributor to my website shared this anecdote:
I also have my 50,000 mile certificate for the Junior Jet Club, dated 5th April 1965; it is signed by the redoubtable O. P. Jones - does that make it a collector's item, I wonder? :-)

My father used to tell me stories about the old Imperial Airways Captains and about O. P. Jones in particular, and the general fear and reverence with which they were held by the young, post-WW2 ex-RAF recruits (such as my father) to BOAC.

Apart from the logbook and pin, if you flew often enough you would also get one of these.
Photo Q. Heron
It was O. P. Jones who - according to my father - had been commanding a flight across the Atlantic shortly after the War, in an unidentified aircraft type, and was back at the navigator's table, pouring over the charts and smoking the pipe for which he was universally known and recognised. Jones was head down and deep in discussions with the Navigating Officer, when the FO turned around to ask a question, and the FO's knee hit the gang bar covering all eight magneto switches, turning them all off simultaneously, and thus causing all four engines to shut down at once, some 20,000'+ over the ocean at night. An impenetrable, shocked silence settled over the entire flight deck, with everyone frozen involuntarily in their places and appalled looks on everyone's face. No-one was able even to say a word. O. P. Jones did not turn a hair, and without so much as looking up, he simply took the pipe out of his mouth and said: "Quiet, isn't it?", and replaced his pipe in between his teeth.
Of course, the engines were quickly re-started, and being out of radar coverage with few if any other aircraft in the sky then, nothing else happened and nothing more was reportedly said about the incident. But O. P. Jones was hard to beat for sheer sang froid.
I found a reference on this Stratocruiser page about what may have been his last flight.
That great first gentleman of the air, Capt O.P. Jones (we were on the same Strat course) later landed one short at Goose Bay, fortunately without hurting anyone. Next day he went out to examine where his wheels' marks were. He resigned and never flew for BOAC again. He had done enough for his airline and country.
So, any more stories or information about this gentleman? Apparently there isn't all that much known about him, apart from the fact that he was a well-known BOAC Captain, held in high regard but also feared by many....

Last edited by Jhieminga; 6th Dec 2012 at 12:23.