PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 17:19
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
The lim on the S92 as far as the RCS was concerned was quite clear that over water ops in poor weather were a non-starter - the rest is window dressing.

I don't think I have ever defended our poor availability - we are the ones sat on our hands wishing we we on state after all.

Now, back to the radar and, since this is a rumour network, is it true that the 189 is being offered with a 180 radar? This is at least a step in the right direction and a tacit acknowledgement that a 120 radar is not fit for purpose in the SAR environment.

I think the battle over radar capability on SARH is far from over - how good is a weather radar at searching into wind in a big sea state for a smallish target?

Now, out of interest, perhaps one of the anti-milsar brigade would tell me if the civvy SAR GPS is using the P codes with the military crypto or is it the normal GPS coarse positioning service? I only ask since cross referring position using a graphics overlay and a weather radar return might not be as accurate as a military spec GPS driven overlay and a milspec radar - just a thought.

As for my future employment in civSAR - maybe you should be more worried that I can undercut you on price since I will be in receipt of a very healthy mil pension by then - I could work for £50K and still be better off but then you all believe in market forces and value for money