PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 13:09
IFR Piglet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Crab

Do you mean ALARP as in “as low as reasonably practicable” defined in the UK health and Safety at work act. If so; how is operating over water with a 120 degree radar not complying with reasonably practicable?? Obviously there’s scope for interpretation and I’m open minded and willing to hear what you have to say.

Regarding the planned capability; it’s your blossom blue brethren that have been advising the DofT on the technical aspects of SAR, so why hasn’t the 360 degree radar capability been specified in the contract? Perhaps upon reflection your fellow Crab fats don’t think its value for money? What percentage of missions actually require its capability versus FLIRs? Civvies operated with them for years before the crabs finally fitted them......not enough wonga at the MOD? Given you feel so strongly and know so much about SAR why where you not asked to advise the Dof T personally, why didn’t you insist? Have you let the nation down Crab; I certainly hope not.

Like I said before, the taxpayer deserves the best value for money. Civvie companies will have to provide a capability or be held accountable as they have done so for many years. What use is your beloved 330 degree radar when it’s bolted to a polished turd operated with 65% availability? (DofT stat) How do you achieve the hypothetical rescues when you’re off state so much and who is accountable for your overall poor performance compared to the civilian operators? Our availability rates must be a little embarrassing for you. If the tables were turned ref availability it would make front page news I’m sure. The public deserve more.

Bottom line - providing the capability exists - the DofT will receive the capability they desire for the price they’re willing to pay; hardly a concept difficult to grasp and it will be heaps better than what your yellow paper weights currently provide.
You should keep banging on about the 360 degree radar though; you never know someone important might take notice and I might have an extra luxury in my swanky civvie cab thanks to you.........not that I’ve ever needed one....yet. I won’t hold my breath; besides out with your little scenario, day to day it would probably just get in the way i.e. reduced ground clearance.....breathe crab breathe.

Nothing wrong with rocking the boat –the big wigs should be able to take it – the trick, is knowing when to stop; which is where I fear you’ve royally f’up should you want to be a civvie SAR God, and only you could.....oh dear. Might as well keep going now though..eh? In fact maybe we should have two 360 radars, I’m sure there’s room; and special glasses to make the picture 3-d.