PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 07:47
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all due respect to the posters giving positive stories and advising you to go for your dream because 'you only live once', do not do it unless you can afford to waste £60-100,000.

I could give you another 'success story'. I trained at 30 and was extremely lucky to get a job within 9 months of finishing my training.

BUT I had a back-up plan. A good alternative career and a wife with a good enough job to pay all the bills.

There are far MORE people who had the dream, trained and then found themselves in an unemployed nightmare than those who can give you happy stories. They are not on Pprune. They do not come here anymore.

AGE IS MORE OF AN ISSUE THESE DAYS. Very people get into the industry through the traditional flight instructor, air taxi, bizjets, turbo prop route because those parts of the industry have nose-dived.

The only other routes are the locos who are ageist these days - they take sub-30 year olds - or the cadet schemes at companies like BA. Both these recruitment drives can afford to be highly selective and except for the odd exceptional candidate, they will look for young and talented candidates.

I may cop some flak for being so negative, but I honestly would not take the risk if I were an older person. There are already far more qualified pilots than there are jobs.