PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eye Witness
Thread: Eye Witness
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 07:38
dctyke

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Eye Witness

Reading the thread 'Just In Time' and watching the vids brought back memories of AC crashes I had witnessed. Amazingly during my time I have seen 5 first hand and all of the crew got away with it.

Number one was in the late 70's at Laarbruch. From the armoury car park I had a great view of the 2 Sqn T bird doing a wheels up along the runway and the ejection(s). I believe the SEngO was in the back seat.

Number two was in 83? Returning from the Martel site at Marham I got to see a fully loaded Victor Tanker burst into flames on the runway whilst taking off. The crew all managed to escape the biggest bonfire ever in Norolk.

Three was a Starfighter falling short of the runway at Deci about 90ish, he banged out ok.

Four and five were both whilst I was working on 1 Sqn Pan at Wittering in the 90's. Firstly one of our GR5s went sliding by with Flt Lt H....... dangling on his chute obove.

The last on I witnessed was surely the most unexpected, a Hurricane from the BoBF. Hearing the state two tannoy we all went on the pan as it was such an rare ac call. Watching it stall and burst into flames as it hit the ground we thought the pilot had no chance, thankfully he got out.

So the moral of the tale. If any of you out there decide to do the dirty with your ac, best make sure I'm watching and you will be fine