PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - 2
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2012, 01:05
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Here is a most interesting story about JAL. BBC News - Beer with boss Kazuo Inamori helps Japan Airlines revival

So how did he manage to change such a deeply rooted corporate culture?

"My simple philosophy is to make all the staff happy," he says. "It has been my golden rule since I founded Kyocera when I was 27. Not to make shareholders happy but simply to create the company that every employee is proud to work for," he adds.

"Many people were sceptical if such a simple philosophy would work but in the end, it did."
Ah - make the staff happy and they will make the customers happy - who make the shareholders happy? Yes, that's how it used to be in the UK when I wuz a lad!

"What puzzles me is why Japan's economy has been struggling for the last 20 years because we have the technologies, skills and great people. But I guess people got too complacent after the economy grew spectacularly since the end of World War II. Today, we are lacking strong business leaders who can make difficult decisions and be inspirational, people who work hard for the good of the company, not for their personal gains."
Ah - personal gains that were supposed to lift everyone higher - but only lifted the few and (mostly) lowered the company.

He refers to the 20 years of stagnation. Ours only started in 2007/8, so we have some way to go. Reading the article reminded me of some of the actions of Gordon Bethune in turning Continental around.

Any lessons for BA in this?