PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK to Australia by PA28
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 21:02
Tonym3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip on bitly.

The stormscope was handy on a couple of the nastier weather days. But not as important as the autopilot. I don't know what kit your warrior has but I would say that a good AP will make your trip a lot more enjoyable.

On the VFR/IFR front, I was a sub-250 hour TT pilot when I went and would describe my VOR/NDB navaid skills as then somewhere between basic and non-existent. We had plenty of IMC weather to cope with and some of the controllers will expect you to provide radials and bearings so I was glad to have an IFR pilot with me. Even with him, the flight planning process usually required some time on the phone with the airservices people before departure. You're probably a lot more experienced than I was but, for me, part of the dollars I paid to have a more experienced IFR pilot with me amounted to training. I can say now that, whilst I think I could do it on my own, I wouldn't do it without an IF Rating - I think that some bad weather is just unavoidable.

Take plenty of folding USD and some in small denominations unless you want to be giving big size tips to refuellers in the middle east and North Asia. I took $15K and used it all on handlers and fuel etc.

Get a visa for India even if you don't plan on going through it. You need to arrange it with the consulate before you leave. We didn't originally plan on going through IN but, due lack of 100LL in Muscat, we had no choice. Although I had been warned to expect difficulties in some of the North Asian countries, we didn't struggle terribly and didn't have to "tip".

The turtlepac was good to have but not essential in my 386litre capacity saratoga. It gave me comfort all the way round that we landed with well over a couple of hours gas still in the tanks. I had heard that Saudi Avgas is *very* expensive so it was good to be able to fly over it. Talk to White Rose about it to see if it makes economic sense to buy and install the extra bag as opposed to stopping more often.

Jeppeson on the ipad was our map source. We broke into controlled space once by accident when we had fallen out of VHF range of centre and had not been handed over but otherwise had no trouble. We did install temporary HF but only used it on the Bali to Broome leg.

Get a customs agent to sort out quarantine and customs for when you arrive in Australia.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.