PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sgt Nightingale
Thread: Sgt Nightingale
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 18:28
Canadian Break

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Where now?

Having read this thread with interest and also having relatives who are neighbours of Sgt Nightingale and heard continually about what a nice family they are I would like to make a couple (OK - 4) of points.
1. I think that the CM tried its very best to let him "get out from under" on what is an absolute offence. No reduction in rank, not thrown out of the army etc.
2. The press and, through them, the great British publice got hold of half a story and outcry ensued. I think that the comments in this thread about the mindset of the 100,00 that signed the petition are bang on. They were led on by the press who were on yet another crusade to show how stupid everyone else but them is. As a result, Sgt Nightingale will now never return to Hereford and will probably leave the army - I'm sure that Max Clifford et al will already have been in touch and promised him his first million or so and- do you know what - I don't begrudge him a penny of it.
3. What does irk me however, is the fact that this case, badly handled once in the public domain, has set a legal precedent that any toerag can try to avail himself of in future when he is caught with an illegal firearm.
4. Finally, there is an ex Flt Lt whom I once had the misfortune to know who, for a similar, but less serious offence (no ammo as I recall) was dismissed HM Service, put in the civvy pokey for a couple of years and lost his pension.
Sorry fellas, it just doesn't stack up. Yet another case of the press running the country. Maybe Leveson is onto something after all.