PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sgt Nightingale
Thread: Sgt Nightingale
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2012, 14:52
baffman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airpolice noted, I'm with you on that. This situation has been created by a public debate, SOME aspects of which have been pretty questionable, so it is hardly surprising that people with a slightly more cynical view will want to discuss it.

I can't even say that a public campaign over a criminal case is necessarily wrong. I was happy to support the Bale Baleiwai petition, one difference there being that the public campaign was not about the court martial case, but about changes in the immigration rules and the general issue of service disciplinary findings having severe consequences beyond the service.

I think what has been making me uneasy is speculation which goes beyond what is already in the court martial transcript or otherwise in the public domain. Agreed that there has been far too much reckless and ill-informed speculation already amongst the "other side".

I wouldn't want someone ultimately convicted by newspapers and twitter, any more than anyone should be acquitted by that means.

I thought it might be worth flagging up these thoughts.