PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk in a crosswind
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2012, 18:08
Chipmunk Janie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the general consensus of how to handle limiting crosswinds in the Chippy. How do you do it and do you pre-set some brake before landing or trust in the brake lever?
I'm right with Shaggy's views on this. I do have a few points to add.

Taxying: You are probably out of limits if you need aileron to taxy in a Chipmunk, but it really does help so you might as well use it.

Aileron: On take off, use into-wind aileron. Do not be shy with it. In a strong wind, while stationery on the threshold, I start with full aileron and actually remove it as required. This does require good reflexes, so it's not for everyone.

Landing: If you keep the fuselage aligned on approach and you find you have full rudder deflection on landing, then you have none left for gusts. It's up to you whether you take a chance or land elsewhere. Be prepared for the worst. If you have full deflection and can't stay on the centre-line, on approach, you are out of your limits. If you crab then straighten at the last minute, you are leaving it very late to make a decision.

Brakes vary from one Chipmunk to another. I initially used GPugh's father's method until I discovered that the brake cables are so well tightened, on my Chipmunk, that I never need to set the brake lever for taxying. The odd dab-as-required works fine. The fact that brake cables stretch over time, needs to be considered, as this affects their effectiveness.

Tyres: Ensure they are both correctly inflated. Having low pressure in one will create drag on that side.

Here's an interesting experiment. It happened to my Chipmunk, by chance, and I'm sure it's not unique. Park the aircraft. Ensure the brakes are definitely OFF. Get out, put on full rudder deflection with your hand (in my case a strong side wind was holding it there) then get someone else to try pushing the aircraft. I found the wheel was locked SOLID. Not a single beefy chap could make that Chipmunk budge. When the wind died down, the rudder straightened and the aircraft moved again! This has never affected the handling on the ground. In fact, it probably assisted. It probably also meant my brake pads were wearing unnecessarily.

Shaggy: I love tight turns in the Chipmunk. One American chap saw me doing this on the concrete and commented that it would be damaging the stationary tyre. Any thoughts?

Which are the best brakes? Who cares? If it's got wings, it's worth flying.