PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About Oxford A.T need to make up my mind
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2003, 21:04
TubularBells

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth,

if someone questioned why, after self-funding my training I chose to spend 20K extra on a course just because of the "opportunity" which was uncertain, I would only hope that my response would be that I had just won the lottery, because otherwise I might feel and look a little silly.

Tooooo much money and too many other opportunities available with the money if it is spare.

I haven't even begun my training yet (just a PPL), so am only trying to give you a first-timer's opinion, but I know when common sense prevails. Why risk your mother's house on such uncertainty?

USE your money and use it well. Don't you fancy teaching in light aircraft for a while? Perhaps a few mail runs overnight? Or perhaps an Air-Taxi position? From what I understand and have been told, it can help to make you a very competent pilot. I'm going to go for instruction. It'll cost a little more, but I'm hoping to get good experience out of it and the reward of training other individuals (that seems to be about all you can get out of it these days!). I'm also fairly sure, as number cruncher says, you're going to have a hell of a lot more going for you in this instance, than a name that is attached to your CV.

I know it would be nice to grab that first job on the turbines, but hell, I'm going into this to fly and with the limited amount of experience I have, I'll take anything I can get my hands on if it get's me out of this office and into the air!

Good luck with whatever you do in any case!