PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk in a crosswind
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2012, 05:10
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wise words from Dan, which echo many of Shaggy's. GPugh's father was one of my first instructors on the Chippy and I still remember him teaching me the brake-setting technique (for taxying) as we sat beneath a wind-swept, grey sky at Roborough Airport (I used to cheat and write down the number of 'clicks' for the subsequent taxy-in). My experience pales when compared to Dan's (I only have around 400 hrs in the Chippy, as an AEF and glider tug pilot) but his and Shaggy's technique of using just a little, progressively applied, light braking when you've got full rudder to counter the crosswind works well. We were taught brakes off for landing and it was only after clearing the runway that you re-set the number of 'clicks' for taxying.

As far as ergonomics go, the Chippy wouldn't win any modern prizes for design but who cares? It took little time to 'balance' the workload between throttle, braking and stick and once you've got used to it you don't even think about it. I'm not a lover of heel brakes but I'm quite happy to put up with them when mucking around in a Silvaire Likewise, I wasn't a fan of differential braking on the Jet Provost but was more than happy with the same thing on the Hunter

Now, I'm not suggesting we all have a big, group hug and start singing kumbaya but let's just accept that DH built the Chippy the way it is and enjoy it, no matter whether we think we could have done better or not. They are lovely aircraft to fly and I wish now I'd taken more advantage of the opportunities I had to fly them.

Finally, to the OP, I hope you've had your question answered; landing with brakes off and just a squeeeeeze of brake, once you've reached the rudder limit, to keep the nose straight at low speeds would seem to be the way ahead.

(And to GPugh, I hope your father is well and pass him my kind regards. His Grading advice and tuition set in motion a very happy and fulfilling career for me on the SHAR and I'm grateful he saw fit to send me off on my first solo Chippy flight )