PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk in a crosswind
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2012, 23:31
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My (limited) experience with a Chipmunk left me with the impression of a delightful aircraft, and taxiing it was really kind of fun... but only once you got used to the idea that you can't keep your hand on throttle when driving around on the ground... which really is a flaw of the design.
Silvaire, yes you can!

I usually set a couple of notches for taxy and then leave the brake lever alone until lined up for T/O. It taxys well, going precisely where your feet point it. Once lined up and with the tailwheel straight I pull the brake lever hard back and then release it to let it fly forward - so I know I have no brake set.

I don't touch that lever again (except for the pre-landing 'brakes off' check - pull it back and release) until I've vacated the runway on landing. Sometimes, in a strong crosswind (what this thread's about) I have tweaked the brake lever back with a curled little finger to augment full rudder; but I've vary rarely needed to do that.

The OP gives a good description of what can easily happen if you land with the brakes set.

The Chippy is as manouverable on the ground as it is in the air, and just as delightful. For sheer taxying fun, press full rudder, add a bit of power, keep the stick back, and do full 360s both ways (judging the correct moment of rudder reversal to reverse the turn after exactly 360 degrees is good practice for your feet!). And it's fun rotating cleanly around one main wheel, then the other as only a fully castoring tailwheel allows! I've never taxyed a toe or heel braked aeroplane that has such carefree, pure, ground handling as the dHC1.

But like most good things in life, it seems strange, even not nice, at first. Only when you are used to it do you realise how superbly good it is!

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 30th Nov 2012 at 23:42.