PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk in a crosswind
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2012, 16:42
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess Boeing, Cessna, Douglas, Piper, Lockheed, North American and just about everyone else got it wrong then!
Not for non-aerobatic types. Clunky brakes are OK for them.

I ask again.. what is wrong with dH's method? Is it just that you're used to toe / heel brakes and so dH's isn't intuitive for you? It's an excellent system that contributes to that 'excellent handling' by keeping mass off the rudder bar, and once you are used to it it's far more flexible in use, with wider options in a taildragger that's agile on the ground as well as in the air, than any toe or heel brake.

I felt the same about the Yak52 when I first tried it; fully castoring nosewheel and mainwheel brakes operated by the rudder bar position in conjuction with a stick-mounted bicycle-type brake lever to active the appropriate air brake on the main wheel.

"Oh for a nice dH system" I thought as I hissed my way across the apron somewhat uncertainly. But after a short while flying the aeroplane I saw the sense of it - like the dH system, no clutter on the rudder bar keeps the controls light and low-mass, and no heel brakes in the way to hinder your feet. Nice system!

Give me either the Yak or the dH system any day above toe or heel brakes (and yes, I've plenty of experience of them in Cessnas, PA28s / 38s, Cubs, Citabrias and many more).

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 30th Nov 2012 at 16:44.