PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About Oxford A.T need to make up my mind
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2003, 16:10
witchdoctor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm afraid anyone under the misapprehension that Oxford have a whole stash of airlines up their sleeves ready to interview graduates is being somewhat naive.

I wouldn't class a monthly newsletter e-mailed to graduates stating Ryanair aren't recruiting yet as a first-class recruitment machine. The only benefit OAT graduates get in respect of jobs, is that when Ryanair approach the school, they are prepared to waive the extortionate fees paid if you make a speculative approach directly. I am not aware of a single recent graduate who found work other than with Ryanair as aresult of efforts on the part of OAT. Most airlines do their own recruiting without some sort of secret referral to OAT, or from the CTC holding pool.

There aren't airlines queuing up outside OAT asking for eager graduates to be sent for interview. Additionally, the career development manager (lovely chap as I said before) really doesn't know one graduate from the other. So how would these mystical recommendations work? I rather suspect on the basis of pot luck - which CV gets pulled out of the drawer first.

OAT are experts at making vague promises of employment or increased prospects. Only a few years ago, OAT trained you for a career not just a licence - trouble is they didn't say a career as what!