PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fastest Jet at Low Level?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2003, 13:22
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dudly I used to fly F28s with two ex RAAF Wing Commanders, both of whom had flown F111s and at least one of whom had been involved in their intro into RAAF service, having been on Mirage 111 and CAC27 (F86 with cannon and bigger engine) before that. Not sure whether he flew the F4s during the interim, probably did.

They both still fly a few hours a year active reserve...or what passes for it in the RAAF.

Lindsay had always been fast jet/fighter streem while the other had been a trashy at one stage and I think both, but certainly Lindsay, initially looked down their noses at 'this bomber'.

I think it's fair to say that attitudes changed once they started flying 'the bomber' and both definately mentioned that max speed was only limited by skin temperature.

From what they told me the 'Pig' was, in earlier RAAF days considered a Fighter Bomber and as such they trained in both disciplines. Apparently max effort climbs from ground level with a light internal fuel load, a few 2 AIM9s/Sparrows/or whatever was the fit and cannon were quite a ride I don't remember for certain but exceeding Mach 1 in a very steep climb at some mind numbing ROC seemed to be the gist of it. Certainly one of Australia finest gave one of your finest a nasty surprise at Red Flag a few years ago when he splashed an F16 with a missile shot...I think the F16 pilots reaction was along the lines of..."It's got WHAT...but it's a Bomber" Unfortunately that F111 driver lost his life maintaining the edge required of you guys.

I have flown a couple of Fighter Sims (the real ones not FS2000) and this ex Bush pilot/now airline takes his hat off to all you fellas...and sometimes wishes he'd pushed harder at the RAAF recruiter when he was 19

And to all the RAAF / RAF / USAF guys who may find themselves in harms way soon all my very best wishes....the politics may suck but that's not your worry!

Chuck.