PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About Oxford A.T need to make up my mind
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2003, 12:52
garethjk22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foggy,
You miss my point. OK, let me clarify a few things.
Firstly, don't be fooled that Oxford/Cambridge entry is based on ability - like everything else - if your face fits - and you need to have substantial funds to get into Oxford (I know!) (Note, press coverage of girl with 4 a's - refused - she didn;t have the funds!)
Secondly, the issue of which school is the best is, to many degrees slightly irrelevant. THe key to success is to make yourself marketable - it is not just a case of having the license - you have got to offer what the airlines want. The airlines clearly have a preference for Oxford Graduates - like it or not - that's the way the cookie crumbles. Now, fundementally, when looking at the license issue - there is more to getting the license than being given a bit of paper. It's not what you've got it's how you've got it that the airlines are interested in. They know that to have satisfied the license requirements theoretically means you are up to the job. So, they need to differeniate the endless number of candidates in one way or another. Don;t kid yourself that just cos you have a license means you are on a level playing field. In theory, yes you are, but how many theory books are written based on real life - not many.
Now, the point of my pointless drivel, is that in acheiving the license you need to also be able to demonstrate, on paper, to a potential employer that you are worth interviewing - if Oxford has the upper hand - go for it.
And finally, the APP course is not that expensive - £60k plus accommodation - not a whole load more than Jerez or Cabair - and you get that competitive advantage - o and a few more flying hours, and a jet orientation course ...... Like I say, you get what you pay for.