PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie looking to upgrade to Cirrus
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2012, 17:35
Adrian_B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please find enclosed an interesting accident report by the Swiss "NTSB". The pilot of a cirrus SR22 was flying IMC from Geneva to Berlin, when near Berne the alternator failed.

It turned out the pilot did not know very well the systems of the Cirrus SR22, which are only partially redundant. He did not have access to the landing plates of LSZH (Zurich) as they were in the system that was shut down. He failed to alert ATC to his serious situation and the airplane crashed in the last turn before attempting a VFR landing, probably due to a low speed stall.

The Cirrus seems to be a very nice plane, but it is way more complex than a PA28 and you have to know and understand it very well. To revert to the initial question, I doubt that it is the right plane for a fresh PPL pilot, but in the end it is ODAI's call.

I also guess ODAI might need more than just 10 hours to feel confortable on the plane (I remember having trouble adapting to the speed and systems (constant speed propeller, gear, avionics) of a Mooney after having done all my training and hour building on a C152 an PA28).

LINK
http://www.bfu.admin.ch/common/pdf/2146_e.pdf