PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie looking to upgrade to Cirrus
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2012, 13:14
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my IMC rating with Steam Gauges in a PA28 around 6 years ago, since I got the Cirrus with its "toys and gizmos" then in actual fact other than helicopters I have not ever flown an aircraft with steam gauge's fixed wing since,unless I get into something strictly VFR then I likely never will.

My skills on steam Gauges I am sure have eroded dramatically but being totally proficient on steam gauges will have little benefit if all the screens go blank in a current Cirrus, the only navigation tool left would be a magnetic compass, I would not fancy IMC around London airspace with just that in IMC or any other airspace.

Old school pilots hats off to you, you had no choice when you learn't and it gives you an added dimension to back up. I also agree also if you fly a whole variety as Pace said you need to be well equipped to handle what you are given and where boss man wants to go.

I do have the luxury of choosing based on my own needs and do fly quite a lot for personal business but invariably and often do cancel due to weather or any other reason and either take an alternative transport or go another day.

I also question anyone's ability to rely on DR in completely foreign airspace, mountains, tight airspace, high workload, stress of the failure, stress or carrying PAX, I am sure it can make for a challenging time and even proficient guys getting overloaded.

Personally I prefer the current modern tools GPS provide, which are reliable and readily available and spend my time getting as competent and proficient as I can with them.

Another point regarding the risk of my attitude I do not recall one Cirrus fatality or accident that was a result of "all the screens going blank"

I am sure however this could and probably has happened to some guys with partial failure if they are not well trained on all the systems.