PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2012, 09:59
RTN11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very few people these days are going straight from flying schools into airline jobs. You will need something extra. For me that was flying instruction.

I instructed for three years. I probably could've pushed for an airline job earlier, I delayed my IR and MCC courses, but ultimately I loved instructing, and held out for the airline job I really wanted. The reality is that as a flying instructor that you just don't earn enough money to get by, and it will be a shock if you're leaving a well paid job.

So if you have the budget to not only pay for all the flight training required, CPL IR etc, but also other ratings such as instructor, and then still be able to live for a few years on a reduced wage, then go for it.

Don't take this post the wrong way, I'm not being cynical or anything. I love the airline job I am in now, it was well worth all the sacrifices I made, and I'm well on track to being debt free by 30. But the realistic truth is that you need to budget for a lot more than just your CPL/IR, and as long as you go into it aware of this, then go for it.

Last edited by RTN11; 28th Nov 2012 at 09:59.